Fun Dental Facts
We are so excited to launch the Northstar Family Dental blog!
To start, I wanted to share some fun, interesting, and strange dental facts with you. At Northstar, we are all self-proclaimed “dental nerds”… I hope to invoke a love of dentistry in all of you, at least for the next couple minutes!!
- A lot of people would love to be at the dentist right now! According to a recent Time Magazine survey, 59% of Americans would rather have a dental appointment than be sitting next to someone talking on a cell phone.
- Over 5000 years ago, ancient Egyptians used a “toothpaste” made of salt, mint, and pepper.
- Over a lifetime, ONE cavity will cost you over $2000! We love to see you, but would rather you save your money…
- A toothpick is the object most choked on by Americans. Use floss instead!
- Like fingerprints, each tongue print is different! Wonder if that fact was ever used on CSI…
- There is someone whose job includes squeezing Prince Charles’ toothpaste onto his toothbrush! The job belongs to Michael Fawcett, his personal valet.
- People who drink 3 or more sugary drinks daily have 62% more dental decay, fillings, and tooth loss!
- A snail’s mouth is no longer than the head of a pin, but can contain over 25,000 teeth.
- George Washington’s dentures were NOT made from wood. They were actually crafted from gold, ivory, lead (eek!), and a mixture of human, donkey, and hippopotamus teeth!
Stay tuned for future blogs posts… I will cover issues such as the importance of sealants, the truth about fluoride and dental radiation, implants, bad habits, Invisalign, canker sores, implants, and tooth whitening.
Have a great weekend everyone,