Top 10 Dental Tips
1. Visit the dentist regularly.
Have your teeth cleaned at least 2 times per year. In their early stages, almost all oral diseases lack symptoms and are less expensive and easier to treat.
2. Brush correctly!
Use a soft bristled (or automatic) toothbrush for at least 2 minutes, at least twice per day. Don’t scrub! And don’t forget to brush your gums.
3. Flossing is just as important is brushing.
Each tooth has 5 surfaces and if you are not flossing, you are leaving 2 of these surfaces dirty! Bacteria will flourish, causing gum disease, bone loss, and cavities.
4. Finish every meal and snack (and drink!) with a glass of water.
It will help to bring your mouth back to a neutral pH, which will protect your teeth from acid erosion.
5. Don’t brush after drinking coffee, pop, or juice!
You will literally be scrubbing the acid onto your teeth. Drink some water, and wait as long as possible. Use some mouth rinse in the meantime!
6. If you have a fear of the dentist, let us know!
If it’s the sound of the drill that bothers you, we have noise-cancelling headphones. If you don’t like being numb, we have methods to help with that, too! And if you just want to sleep through your dental visit, sedation dentistry may be best for you.
7. Wear a mouth guard when playing sports to avoid dental trauma.
And if you tend to clench your teeth when lifting weights, a mouth guard will protect your teeth from extensive wear.
8. Clean your tongue using a tongue scraper.
This will help to prevent bad breath and to remove the loads of bacteria that accumulate there. Yuck!
9. Know how to handle dental trauma.
If, unfortunately, you or someone you are with knocks their tooth out, put it in milk (gatorade, or water if you don’t have milk on hand), and call your dentist ASAP! Keeping it stored in this manner will give it the best chance of survival.
10. Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco.
You know the risks! And tobacco + alcohol consumption is what we call an “oral cancer cocktail.” Quit for your health!